Ask Extension

Recent Articles

Link

Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy to be Home

By: Libby Carnahan, Sea Grant Agent

By the numbers, China recently surpassed the United States in total carbon emissions. However, in a citizen to citizen comparison the average United States citizen has greater than 3 times the carbon footprint of the average Chinese citizen. China isn’t trying to be “sustainable” per se. As a country with approximately 1/5 of the global population, China is taking action to sustain.
They do more with less, when it makes sense-consume less products, use less electricity, drive less .

As Americans, we value our independence and the power of choice. However, after my visit to China - the most populated country on the planet, I realize that the power of choice shouldn’t mean doing whatever we want, whenever we want, however we want. Our choices have consequences, not only for ourselves, but for our communities, and our planet .

I plan to choose more carefully to benefit me, you, our community, and our planet. I hope you will join me.

Resources:
United States Energy Information Administration: International Energy Statistics

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook