Ask Extension

Recent Articles

Link

Thursday, June 16, 2011

China Finds Creative Ways to Limit Energy Use

By: Libby Carnahan, Sea Grant Agent

Communities all over China are limiting energy use and consumption in a variety of ways.

In Shanghai, public policy dictates that the lights of city high-rises turn off at specific times depending on the day of the week (e.g. by 11:00pm on weekends).

As a tourist, my carbon footprint was controlled by key card at the local hotels.
In order to operate my lights, electric outlets, and climate control, I inserted my key card into a special outlet. While it was a moderate adjustment to charge my cell phone, laptop, etc. on my own time, it created an undeniable connection to my personal energy consumption that I only come to terms with one day a month at home when my electricity bill arrives.

See you tomorrow for our last stop on this journey through China’s sustainability practices.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook