To gain Florida Green Home Standard certification, the builder uses the FGBC sustainability checklist for planning. When construction is complete, a third party inspector reviews the job.
The Florida Green Home Standard checklist has eight categories.
- Energy – based on projected performance
- Water – efficient use indoor and outdoor
- Lot Choice – promotes use of existing infrastructure, mass transit, public open space, and community resources
- Site – protects local habitat
- Health – addresses air quality and contaminants
- Materials – waste reduction and sustainable materials.
- Disaster Mitigation – includes termite protection.
- General – credit for smaller house size, adaptability, renewable power generation
To learn more about home Green Certification Programs, download this fact sheet (pdf)