Mary Campbell, Pinellas County Extension Director, Urban Sustainability Agent
What are your top resolutions for 2009? I hope that a few may involve eco-friendly practices and reducing your footprint on the earth. I just want to take a moment and review the top green practices from 2008 and see if you can add these to your resolutions. So that you can reinforce your resolution with a written commitment, a link to a pledge is also included. Remember that a written commitment has been shown to increase our ability to follow through on that commitment. Thank you to the 1209 people who committed in 2008 to going green and helping to create a more sustainable planet.
1. Use compact fluorescent lights when replacing bulbs.
2. Use reusable shopping bags.
3. Recycle plastic containers.
4. Kick the plastic bottle habit.
5. Use at least 30% post-consumer content recycled paper.
6. Reduce paper by printing on both sides.
7. Recycle used paper.
8. Combine trips to save fuel
9. Turn off the car if idling more than 20 seconds
10. Make sure care tires are at correct pressure.
I wish you success in your green practices in 2009.
Extension Launches New UF/IFAS Blog
3 years ago