by Mary Campbell, Pinellas County Extension Director and Urban Sustainability Agent
Here are some simple things you can do to be GREEN at work:
- Print double-sided whenever possible.
- Narrow your margins to reduce paper.
- Reuse the back of a one-sided document for drafts before you recycle the paper.
- Use reusable mugs and dishes for your drinks and food during the day to reduce waste.
- Ask for and order recycled content office paper, supplies and products. Buying recycled content helps turn recyclables into new products.
- Turn off your lights when not in your office.
- Turn off your computer screen when you are away from your desk for long periods of time.
- Turn off your computer when not in use.
- Open window blinds to let in natural sunlight and turn off overhead lights whenever possible.
- Turn off vehicles when stopped. Idling vehicles waste energy and cause increased pollution.
- Use recycling containers at your desk and in common areas for unsoiled paper, cans and bottles to reduce waste going to the landfill.
Remember to take the At Work Pledge at: http://pinellas.ifas.ufl.edu/sustainability/index.shtml