Extension Education Instructor
Are you familiar with buying green products? If not, here’s a review: Green Purchasing, Environmentally Preferable Purchasing, and Sustainable Purchasing are all words that describe buying products or services that have a reduced negative impact on human health and the environment as compared to other products and services designed for the same use.
Now, the question you may have is “Where can I find green products?” There are numerous resources to help you find all kinds of products from mattresses to building materials. Here are a few to get you started:
- The National Green Pages http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/greenpages/
- Green Seal http://www.greenseal.org/index.cfm
- Energy Star http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.
- US General Services Administration http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/channelView.do?pageTypeId=8207&channelPage=/ep/channel/gsaOverview.jsp&channelId=-12972
- Consumer Reports Greener Choices: Products for a Better Planet http://www.greenerchoices.org/
- USDA Biopreferred http://www.biopreferred.gov/Default.aspx?SMSESSION=NO
In addition to learning about the green products that are available, you can find useful information including tips on how to read the labels, and alternative cleaning solutions just inside your cupboards. You can also search for a product based on specific criteria such as Green Seal approved, non toxic or bio based.
Take advantage of these resources and you’ll quickly be on your way to making better decisions today for the future of our community.